The period I'm using for this blog is found in Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor K. 466, it's in the 2nd section of this Concerto, called "Romance." In this video, the period takes place at 13:32 and continues to 13:54.
In this section, a piano plays unaccompanied. It plays an arpeggio, therefore the notes are played consecutively rather than simultaneously. the tempo of the piece is allegro and it is in 4/4 time. As stated in the title, the phrase is in the key of D- minor. The phrase is a parallel, interrupted period. The first arc of the period ends on a half cadence, then the second section of the period closes on a perfect authentic cadence.
This period relates to Enlightenment ideals because of its orderliness. The first and second phrases mirror each other exactly except for the cadential change. The order and reason in this reflect the Enlightenment idea of reason and logic over religion. The separation of almost every note played in this piece, the arpeggio form, also reflects an idea of order, each note has a place, just as each question has a logical answer. The 4/4 time signature is also a concept with a clear answer, reasonable and orderly. Four beats per measure and a quarter note gets one beat, it's a logical concept and reflective of Enlightenment ideals.

It's really interesting to look at Enlightenment music like this piece and think about how it reflects the time it was composed in. I liked your explanation of the period and how it represents the orderliness that was revered in the time. Great blog, I had a pleasant time reading it like I usually do with your blog!
ReplyDeleteI like how you talk about how things such as the time signature and appegiation relate to the Enlightenment ideals of the time. We talk a lot about the chord progressions and how the melodies and harmonies are simplified and such but we don't talk as much about the more rudimentary aspects relate to the Enlightenment, good job!
ReplyDeleteClear and orderly blog, just like the Enlightenment era! I've listened to the "Romance" movement of the concerto multiple times now and I have to say that I really enjoy it. Thanks for posting it!
ReplyDelete~Magnetic The Shaman
I remember this piece from the movie Amadeus. I like your explanation on how this relates to the enlightenment with orderliness. I never fully listened to this piece. It was charming and so entertaining. Good blog!!
ReplyDelete-Jesus
You must have listened to that phrase a bunch of times in order to analyse it's form, or at least I know I would have to because it's a little hard to hear. But really good job on that! And it's great that you chose that specific phrase, especially because it's a part when the piano plays solo so there is only one melody, making the period a little more evident (once you hear it). Great blog!
ReplyDelete-Ana
I really like how you included the amount of measures in your picture! This is a wonderful blog and a lovely song!
ReplyDelete