Defining Folk Music
The definition of folk music is difficult to put
into words; it means something different depending on who you ask. Some people
define it in rather specific terms, such as Bruno Nettl, who
clearly presents what he thinks folk music is and isn't, such as: folk
music is communal creation and not individual, oral not written, folk not
concert or primitive, non- specialist not professional, simple not complex,
functional not non- functional, and participatory not passive. To others,
the definition of folk music is more laissez- faire than Nettl's. To Louis
Armstrong, "all music is folk music." To Ani DiFranco, "there's
no pomp and circumstance to the [folk] performance. There's no, like, 'I'll be
the rock star, you be the adulating fan.'" To Sonny Terry, "It's the
closest music to our humanity - it's like a folk music that rises up out of a
culture." To Johnny Rotten, “the genuine roots of culture is folk music.”
And, to Brownie McGhee, folk music is “music of just plain people.” The
culmination of these definitions and more are, to me, what folk music is and
what it represents. It can be interpreted, listened to, and defined by anyone,
and those definitions can vary from person to person. For some, it’s all
encompassing and for others it’s exclusive. Folk music is, essentially,
community. Folk music serves as a catalyst to the bringing together of people, it’s
more relatable than classical or opera and has a meaning easier to discern than
tribal music.
For me, if
someone believes they are performing or listening to folk music, then they are.
Nettl’s categories are too specific, they limit what folk music is, and what it
can mean to people. Although there are some restrictions, for example,
classical music is clearly not folk music, folk music is more intrinsically
defined. If a song or piece of music someone hears makes them feel connected to
a larger community and they feel they are welcome and belong in that community,
then that music is folk music for them.
Perhaps one of the best personal examples I have
to define folk music is my experience at Bethel Woods Center for Performing
Arts on the day of Richie Havens’ memorial. Richie Havens opened Woodstock with
his improvised performance of “Freedom,” he has always said he felt a personal,
spiritual connection with the Bethel Woods site of Woodstock so, when he passed
away in April, his family arranged for a mix of his ashes and flower petals to
be spread over the performance hill on August 18th. Throughout the
day, there were performances inside by many musicians who knew and loved Richie,
but, outside on the field that Woodstock took place on, there was a drum circle
led by Juma Sultan (Jimi Hendrix’s Woodstock percussionist) and Richie’s
longtime percussionist. During the drum circle, Juma and company had drums anyone
was allowed to grab and join in the circle. My friend and I each grabbed a drum
while my dad played a drum he had brought. We sat in this circle of strangers
and played music on the drums in remembrance and celebration of Richie’s life
for about an hour. It was, for me, the epitome of folk music. I felt connected
to these people I didn’t know and was making beautiful folk music with them,
even though I, like most of the people in the drum circle, had no experience
playing drums. After the circle, we had a picnic on the field and listened to
the other performers, then it was time for his ashes to be scattered. While the
plane containing the ashes circled overhead, the drum circle started up again.
As the plane kept circling, the tempo of the drums increased, becoming
increasingly forte, building and building until the ashes were released, then
they faded out, and it was over. Being a part of this community, celebrating
the same person, hearing people say “peace” and “love” to one another, and making
beautiful music with experienced and inexperienced strangers, gave me the sense
of community and belonging listening to folk music should give someone.
If a
sense of community and belonging is elicited, that’s folk music. Yes, some of
Nettl’s categories are accurate, distinguishing folk from classical, but I think
they’re too narrow- minded. The drum circle fits more closely with his
definition of “primitive” music, but to me it felt like folk music. The message
in Bob Dylan’s “Blowin’ in the Wind” is geared more for listeners of the 1960’s
than myself, so I cannot be “participatory,” but it’s still folk music. Bob
Dylan’s songs were written by himself, not passed down in an oral tradition or
created by a community, but they’re still folk music. Folk music is much
simpler than these specific categories, it is a personal feeling and perception
of a piece of music, not a checklist of categories.
Below is a picture of my friend and me with Juma on the field!
I love this! I feel like you have cracked the code for defining folk music. I was mind blown by your simple, yet so profound conclusion:
ReplyDelete"For me, if someone believes they are performing or listening to folk music, then they are."
I also feel that Nettl's views were pretty narrow-minded for defining folk music. It can include both oral tradition and written tradition, and several other categories as well that have opposing views.
ReplyDelete~Magnetic The Shaman
I really appreciated your analysis on folk music and your views on how to define it. I believe your blog was terrific and very well thought out! Plus I thought it was pretty awesome you got to meet Juma Sultan!! I also agree with your stance that Nettle's categories can be refining and restrictive to folk music while some points are accurate. There is a wide variety in ways music can be defined! I also agree that folk music is a personal feeling and not a "checklist of categories".
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you when you say that Nettl's categories are too specific. I think folk music is open to interpretation.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love the picture! You look so happy and this sounds like such an awesome experience.
Bethel Woods is an AWESOME venue. I've seen a few shows there an there is definitely a "peace" and "love" vibe going still leftover from Woodstock.
ReplyDelete